This is one of those recipes that I rarely pull out of the archives, usually only for special occasions. My grandmother made this for family gathering, reunions and special occasions. Since it was a family favorite, I try to make it either on my Daddy’s birthday, Father’s Day or the 4th of July.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix, made per the box instructions
- 2 (5 oz) boxes of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 6 cups of milk
- 6 bananas, sliced
- 2 (21 oz) cans of cherry (or strawberry) pie filling
- 2 (20 oz) cans of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (16 oz) container of Coolwhip, thawed
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, optional, for decoration topping
- Maraschino cherries for decoration
Bake the cake as directed. Let it cool. Make the pudding and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Cut up the cake into chunks and set aside.
Layer in the punch bowl:
- Half of the cake
- Half of the pudding
- Half the bananas
- Half of the pineapple
- Half of the cherry pie filling
Garnish with maraschino cherries. It does seem to taste better if you refrigerate it over night before serving. This dessert is amazing, it’s a mix between banana pudding and banana split – only better. We’ve even made this in a black forest variation, get creative and enjoy.
I was wondering what you change to make your black forest variation…. Either way sounds wonderful!
I used canned cherry pie filling, chocolate cake and chocolate filling…..SOOOO GOOD!