I have to switch things up to keep my boys interested and engaged in a meal prep plan. If I do the same thing day after day, week after week, they get bored. When searching for a recipe to offer them something different and nutritious, I found options of “Baked Oatmeal”. I substituted some things, added some stuff and adjusted it to our liking…..
Here’s your chance to get creative, blueberries and strawberries may not be your pick, so why not try apples or peaches….pumpkin..bananas…..your options are endless! I have not tested the variations, because so far we love the mixed berries. I will eventually switch it up and try them all. As we try them I will update the post to let you all know what we think….
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish really well. Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Slice or dice the fruit as needed.
Dry Ingredients – Mix in one bowl.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
Wet Ingredients – Mix in a separate bowl.
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups Almond Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups berries (I prefer 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup strawberries mixed) If you don’t like berries, there are different variations listed below.
In the baking dish layer 1/2 of the oats mixture, topped with 1/2 the fruit and then the remaining half of the oats mixture. Pour the wet ingredient mixture on top. Place the remaining 1/2 of fruit on top.
Bake for 40 minutes until the oats are tender and it has a cake like texture. Cut into individual servings and refrigerate. This is great to eat straight out of the oven or warm up the next day. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast or snack.
If you prefer a different variation, substitute the following in place of the 2 cups of berries.
- Banana Nut – 1 cup of mashed bananas and 1/2 cup of pecans.
- Apple Cinnamon – 2 cups of diced apples
- Peaches n Cream – 2 cups of diced peaches
- Pumpkin – 1 cup of puree pumpkin and 1/2 cup pecans (for a little extra kick – add 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice!)